“A BIBLICAL RESPONSE TO THE DEATH OF GEORGE FLOYD”
How should we view these incidents from a biblical basis?
I. DESIRE TO KNOW WHAT SAITH THE LORD AND SEEK THAT OUT.
- The Bible should be our default life operating system.
- Be doers of the Word and not hearers only (Ja. 1:23-25).
II. HUMBLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WE LIVE IN A BROKEN, SINFUL WORLD.
- The sin nature is alive and well in our communities.
- The church needs to become more impactful.
- The lack of prayer (1Tim. 2:1-4; 2Chron. 7:14).
- Characteristics of Humility:
- Takes ownership for the problems in our culture.
- Seeks to be part of the solution.
- Acknowledges our limited perspective.
- Requires objectivity & maturity (Ja. 4:6, 10; 1Pet. 5:5).
III. BE QUICK TO LISTEN, BUT SLOW TO SPEAK AND SLOW TO EXPRESS ANGER (James 1:19-20).
- Be swift to hear.
- Be slow to speak (Prov. 10:19).
- Be slow to wrath (Eph. 4:26; Col. 3:8).
- Exercise self-control (Gal. 5:22-23; Prov. 25:28).
IV. WALK IN LOVE (Eph. 5:2; Mark 12:31; Rom. 13:10).
- Love sacrifices self for the well-being of others.
- It treats others with respect, honor & dignity (1Pet. 2:17).
- Love treats others the way you want to be treated by others (Matt. 7:12; Rom. 13:10; 1Cor. 13:4-8).
V. PURSUE JUSTICE THROUGH JUST MEANS (Prov. 31:9).
- This requires action on our part (Ps. 82:3-4).
- You can only truly obtain justice through just means (Rom. 12:17, 19, 21)!
- Pursue justice by coming in the opposite spirit.
- Be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.
- This requires a well-thought out effective, God-honoring strategy (Prov. 20:18; 21:5)
CONCLUSION: What is God saying to you this morning?