“A CHRISTMAS BLESSING”
INTRO: We’re created by God with a desire to receive a blessing from our earthly and heavenly father. This blessing was made available to us through Christ coming to earth.
I. JACOB RECEIVES THE BLESSING FROM HIS DAD (Gen. 27).
- This was a dysfunctional family with favorites (Gen. 25:28) and brother who didn’t get along (Gen. 25:21-34).
- Isaac announces the blessing (vv. 1-4).
- Rebekah schemes for Jacob to get the blessing (vv. 5-17).
- Jacob gets Esau’s blessing from dad (vv. 18-27).
- Esau grieves the loss of the father’s blessing (vv. 30-38). *Did you get the father’s blessing? Did someone else?
- Esau gets a leftover inferior blessing (vv. 39-40). *Does it feel like all you got was a leftover blessing?
- Esau resents Jacob and plans to kill him (vv. 41-45). *Have you experienced this family dysfunction?
- Jacob becomes the father of the Israelites (Acts 7:8).
- Esau becomes the father of the Edomites (Gen. 36:8-9).
- Throughout history, the Israelites ruled the Edomites. *Those who receive the blessing often rule over those who don’t receive the blessing!
- The younger (spiritual) serves the older (physical – flesh) (Gen. 25:23; Rom. 9:12). Who’s in control (Gal. 5:16-18)?
- Those with the blessing tend to do better in life.
- There is often jealousy and conflict between them.
- The results of jealousy, inferiority, and insecurity.
II. THE BLESSING & THE CHRISTMAS STORY (Matt. 2:1-18).
- At Jesus’ birth, Herod, an Edomite, was king (Matt. 2:1)!
- Jesus was a descendant of Jacob (Matt. 1:1-2, 16; Lk. 1:33)!
- Esau (Herod) plots to destroy Jacob (Jesus) (Matt. 2:1-18).
- Jesus received the Father’s blessing (Matt. 3:17).
III. THE BLESSING AND YOU.
- You can receive Father’s blessing (Gen. 1:28; 5:2)!
- If you’re in Christ, the Father’s blessing belongs to you (John 15:15; 16:14-15; Eph. 1:3; 2Cor. 2:14)!