“A NEW THING FOR A NEW YEAR”
TEXT: Isaiah 43:1-8, 18-19a
INTRO: As we enter into a new year, I believe God has some significant things to say to us through Isaiah chapter 43.
I. “THUS SAYS THE LORD WHO CREATED YOU” (v. 1a)
- God, your Creator, has something to say to you now.
- What God has to say is life to you (1Cor. 10:11; Jn. 6:63).
II. “FEAR NOT” (v. 1b, 5a)
- We are commanded not to fear. Do you?
- Ongoing fear is a choice.
- Initial fear is typically a reaction to circumstances.
- What we do with that initial fear is a choice.
- What is the alternative to fear? Trusting God! Faith is not so much the complete absence of fear as it is obeying and trusting God in spite of whatever fear we are battling.
- Don’t fear what may come your way in 2019!
III. THE BASIS FOR NOT FEARING (vv. 1b, 5a)
- God has redeemed you (v. 1b)!
- Your sins are forgiven (v. 25; 1Jn. 2:12)!
- You are in right standing with God (Rom. 3:24, 28).
- You have eternal and abundant life (Jn. 3:16; 10:10).
- A great price was paid for your redemption (1Pe. 1:18-19).
- God has called you by your name [and His] (vv. 1b, 7)! *God knows all about you (Ps. 139:13-18), cares about you and offers you His help (Jer. 33:3; 1Pet. 5:7).
- You belong to God (vv. 1b, 3a; Jn. 1:12)!
- God is with you (v. 5a; Heb. 13:5) and for you (Jer. 29:11; Rom. 8:31-39) and loves you (Isa. 43:4a)!
IV. PROMISES FROM GOD TO YOU (Isa. 43:2, 4b, 5b-8).
- You’re going to pass through the waters (Isa. 43:2a, 4b)!
- You’re going to pass through the fire without being burned (v. 2c; Dan. 3; esp. v. 27)!
- God will use whoever He chooses to accomplish His purposes for your life (v. 4b)!
- God will restore your family (vv. 5b-8)!