“A NOVICE’S GUIDE TO PRAYER”
INTRO: At Jubilee we are in 40 Days of Prayer for a specific personal miracle and a church-wide refreshing (Acts 3:19).
I. GOD WIRED US FOR PRAYER.
- God created us in His image and created us to communicate with Him (Gen. 1:26-28; 3:9).
- God has placed eternity in the human heart (Ecc. 3:11).
II. MOST OF US DON’T FEEL WE’RE VERY GOOD AT PRAYER.
- We feel inadequate to pray (Luke 18:10, 13).
- We don’t know how or what to pray (Lk. 11:1; Rom. 8:26).
- We don’t feel like we have a lot of faith (Mark 9:24).
- We don’t feel like we hear God clearly and consistently.
- We don’t always feel close to God when we pray.
- Many people don’t feel confident to pray aloud, especially when others are present (Luke 11:2a).
- Learn to do more of your praying aloud.
III. GOD WANTS US TO ME BE MORE COMFORTABLE AND CONFIDENT WITH PRAYING.
- God wants us to pray boldly (Heb. 4:16), confidently (1Jn. 5:14-15), effectively (Ja. 5:16) and consistently.
- Do you pray as much as God wants? If not, why not?
IV. FOUR COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT PRAYER:
- Prayer is not a magic wand (there’s no magic words).
- Prayer is not a fire extinguisher (use only in emergency).
- Prayer is not a tug of war (trying to convince God). John 14:13-14; James 4:2; Jeremiah 33:3; Matt. 7:17
- Prayer is not a ritual to relieve guilt.
V. THREE FOUNDATIONAL TRUTHS OF PRAYER:
- God loves for you to talk to Him about most anything (John 15:15).
- God answers prayers that are humble and sincere (Heb. 10:22; Matt. 6:5-8).
- God longs to be close to you (James 4:8a; Isa. 30:18).
- Are we as close to God as we’ve chosen to be?
CONCLUSION: The closer you are to God, the less stressed and the more blessed you’ll be! Pray, Pray, Pray!!!