Overview of the Christmas Story (Matt. 1-2; Luke 1-2).
INTRO: Luke 2:52 summarizes Jesus’ life from age 12–30! For 18 years, Jesus “increased” – He grew, advanced, to be well along (He made good headway).
HOLISTIC GROWTH (Luke 2:52): 1) Intellectually, 2) Physically, 3) Spiritually & 4) Relationally.
- The weakest link may hinder the other dimensions.
- All the dimensions are spiritual!
INTELLECTUAL GROWTH (Prov. 3:13; 4:7)
- Wisdom is the proper application of knowledge.
- Two kinds of wisdom – godly wisdom from above and secular wisdom from the world (Ja. 3:13-17).
FOUR WAYS TO INCREASE WISDOM:
- Observation – observe by reading books and by reading life (Prov. 1:1-7; 8:1-6; 9:14-18).
- Two voices are crying out to you from public places – the voice of wisdom (Prov. 8:1-6) and the voice of immorality (Prov. 9:14-19) – which voice will you give your attention?
- Read more!
- Assimilation – take time to process what you observe.
- Application – how can you apply what you observe?
- Revelation – ask God for wisdom (James 1:5; Prov. 2:6-7).
- Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, belongs to God, and should be used to glorify God (1Cor. 6:19-20).
FOUR INGREDIENTS FOR PHYSICAL HEALTH:
- Exercise (1Tim. 4:8a; Prov. 24:5).
- Diet (think in terms of lifestyle changes, not dieting).
- Do what you know to do.
- Quit making excuses!
- Rest – adequate sleep and rest, including a weekly sabbath (Ex. 20:8-11; Gen. 2:2-3; Heb. 4:1, 4, 9-11).
- Stress management (Phil. 4:6-8; Matt. 11:28-30; 1Pet. 5:7).