“ARE YOU PENTECOSTAL?”
INTRO: What is Pentecost Sunday all about? What does it have to do with me?
I. THE PURPOSE OF PENTECOST (Acts 1:8): To receive the power of the Holy Spirit in order to be Christ’s witnessesin our city, region, and the ends of the earth.
II. THE EXPERIENCE OF PENTECOST (Acts 2:1-4): They heard (v. 2), saw (v. 3), were filled (v. 4a) and overflowed with something from heaven (v. 4b).
III. THE IMMEDIATE RESPONSE TO PENTECOST (2:5-13):
- Crowds gathered who were confused & amazed (vv. 5-13).
- Do we have enough Holy Spirit activity among us to generate such responses?
IV. THE SERMON AT PENTECOST (Acts 2:14-36).
- A fulfillment of Joel’s prophesy (vv. 16-21).
- Peter preached Jesus to them (vv. 22-36).
- 3,000 people were saved, baptizedand added to their community (vv. 37-47).
V. 4 BARRIERS PENTECOST BREAKS THROUGH (2:16-18).
- THE RACIAL BARRIER (vv. 16-17a; Gal. 3:28; Acts 1:8;Matt. 28:19a; Acts 10).
- THE GENDER BARRIER (v. 17b; Gal. 3:28; Gen. 1:26-28, Acts 1:14; 2:4).
- THE GENERATIONAL BARRIER (v. 17c; Matt. 22:32, Titus 2:2-8).
- THE ECONOMIC BARRIER (v. 18; Gal. 3:28; Acts 2:44-45; 4:32-35; Gal. 2:10; 1Tim. 6:17-19; 2Thess. 3:10-12; 1Thess. 4:10-12; James 2:1-9).
CONCLUSION: Are you Pentecostal? Have you broken through the racial, gender, generational and economic barriers?