“DEBUNKING FAITH BUSTERS”
Pt. 3 “What About Sin & Suffering – How can a loving, powerful God allow it?”
3 REALMS OF SUFFERING: Global, Community & Individual.
I. HUMAN FREEDOM LEADS TO SUFFERING.
- Suffering wasn’t a part of God’s original creation (Gen. 1-2), nor will it be a part of eternity (Rev. 21:4).
- God allows sin & suffering so we have a free will, which requires us to be able to choose right or wrong (sin).
- 4 SOURCES OF SUFFERING: 1) Our own sin (Gal. 6:7-8). 2) The sins of others. 3) Living in a fallen world (Gen. 3:17-18; Rom. 8:20-22). 4) Because of the devil (Jn. 10:10; 1Pet. 5:8).
- Suffering isn’t always because of our own sin (Job 1:1, 8, 22; Lk. 13:2-5; Jn. 9:1-3).
II. GOD WORKS THROUGH SUFFERING.
- God uses suffering for our good (Rom. 8:28).
- God allows, but not necessarily sends suffering.
- God uses suffering to bring us to Christian maturity (Heb. 5:8; Jn. 15:2; 1Pet. 1:6-7). Suffering reveals your true character (2Cor. 1:3-4; Rom .12:15).
III. GOD MORE THAN COMPENSATES FOR OUR SUFFERING.
- Consider present suffering in light of eternity.
- The blessings of eternity will far outweigh any sufferings we experience now (Rom. 8:18; 2Cor. 4:17; Rom. 21:4).
- God has all eternity to make it up to you!
IV. GOD IS INVOLVED IN OUR SUFFERING.
- Jesus suffered, and God is with us in our suffering (Heb. 4:15; 12:2; 13:5-6).
- The main issue isn’t to understand our suffering, but to trust God in the midst of our suffering (Job 13:15)!
- 4 QUESTIONS TO ASK OURSELVES WHEN SUFFERING:
- Is this suffering a result of my own sin?
- What is God saying to me through this?
- What does God want me to do?
- Will I trust God & hold on to hope? What’s the alternative?