“DEBUNKING FAITH BUSTERS”
Pt. 5B What About Sex – is sex outside of marriage really wrong?
Review/Intro: Because God is God, He has the right to decide what’s right and wrong when it comes to sex! We should want to know the truth whether or not it challenges our current thinking or lifestyle. Let’s not be quick to judge those who are struggling with issues of sexual immorality.
WHAT ARE GOD’S GUIDELINES FOR SEX?
Sex is for the purposes of pleasure and procreation, and that privilege is meant to be reserved for a male and female who have entered into the covenant of marriage with each other (Gen. 1:28; 2:24; 1Cor. 6:18; 1Thess. 4:3).
I. WHAT ABOUT PORNOGRAPHY?
- Looking lustfully at a person you’re not married to is adultery of the heart (Matt. 5:27-28).
- If you’re involved in porn, repent and get whatever help you need to get and stay free (Job 31:1; Ps. 101:3)!
II. WHAT ABOUT SELF-GRATIFICATION?
- Can one honestly do it without lusting?
- Is the guilt and shame worth it?
- What else might it lead to?
III. WHAT ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY?
- We should show compassion to those struggling.
- Any sexual activity apart from a male and female in a marriage covenant is outside God’s guidelines for living.
- The sin is not in the attraction, but in the action.
- Scriptures on homosexuality: Lev. 18:22; 20:13; Gen. 19:4-5; Judges 19:22-23; Rom. 1:24-27, 32; 1Cor. 6:9-11.
IV. HOW DO I RESIST TEMPTATION (1Cor. 10:13)?
- Nurture your spiritual life.
- Develop and maintain healthy boundaries.
- Starve lust, don’t feed it!
- Be accountable.
- Live a lifestyle of repentance (Ps. 51; esp. 1-4, 6, 10, 12, 17).
CONCLUSION: Regardless of where you’re at, you can be forgiven, set free and restored (1Jn. 1:9; Jn. 8:32, 36)!