“DISCOVERING YOUR PLACE TO BELONG – Pt. 3”
INTRO: We’re all called to be planted in a local community of believers, resulting in flourishing (Ps. 92:13-14).
THE CHALLENGES OF BEING PLANTED:
- Dying to a spirit of independence and self-will (Jn. 12:24).
- Dying to unrealistic expectations of a nearly flawless church.
- Dying to the barrier of our own unresolved issues.
- Dying to your busy schedule sufficient to being planted.
I. DISCOVERING THE PLACE TO BE PLANTED.
- God chooses the place, while you discover and cooperate with His choice for you (Deut. 12:5; 1Cor. 12:18).
- You may need to die to your shopping list of what you’re looking for in a church.
II. HOW TO GET PLANTED (1Cor. 10:11; Deut. 12:5-7).
- Learn from the experiences of the people in the O.T.
- GO THERE (Deut. 12:5).
- The Greek word for “church” is Ekklesia, which means a calling out and a coming together.
- Corporate presence of God (Matt. 18:20; 2Chron. 5:13-14).
- GIVE THERE (Deut. 12:6, 13-14; Mal. 3:10-12).
- We’re to support our local church with our giving.
- All your (God’s) tithe should go to the house where God has chosen for you to be planted (Mal. 3:10-12).
- EAT THERE (Deut. 12:7a).
- It’s not about where the best food is, it’s about who your family is!
- Did where Elijah go to eat matter (1Ki. 17:3-9)?
- SERVE THERE (Deut. 12:7b; 1Pet. 4:10; Eph. 4:16; Heb. 10:24-25).
- God has given you gifts to use in serving your church family (1Pet. 4:10).
- The body needs your supply (Eph. 4:16)!
- Just start encouraging others (Heb. 10:24-25)!
CONCLUSION: God wants to plant you in a local community of believers (Ps. 92:13-14)! To be planted – go there, give there, eat there, and serve there (Deut. 12:5-7), which will require some dying there (Jn. 12:24)!