“DISCOVERING YOUR PLACE TO BELONG – Pt. 4”
INTRO: We’re all called to be planted in a local community of believers, resulting in flourishing (Ps. 92:13-14).
FOUR PARTS TO GETTING PLANTED:
- GO THERE (Deut. 12:5).
- GIVE THERE (Deut. 12:6; Mal. 3:10-12).
- EAT THERE (Deut. 12:7a).
- SERVE THERE (Deut. 12:7b; 1Pet. 4:10; Eph. 4:16; Heb. 10:24-25). In a functional family, each family member has and fulfills a function.
- WHY SHOULD WE COME TOGETHER FOR WORSHIP?
- To respond to God’s invitation (Ps. 95:6; 5:7).
- To give God the glory due His name (Ps. 29:1-2; 66:1-2; 1Chron. 16:29).
- It’s primarily for Him, not us!
- Not “Did I like it?” but “Did God like it?”
- It’s not about Entertainment, Performance, Perfection, Personality, Preference, Tradition or Style!
- To praise Him for what He’s done and Who He is (Ps. 150:1-2; 66:1-3).
- HOW SHOULD WE WORSHIP?
- The way He wants to be worshiped!
- In spirit and in truth (Jn. 4:23-24).
- IN SPIRIT: from the inside out, yielded to the Spirit.
- IN TRUTH: genuinely, Jesus-focused (Jn. 14:6a) & Word-based (Jn. 17:17).
BIBLICAL WAYS TO WORSHIP:
Standing (Ps. 135:1-2), Singing (Ps. 47:6), Singing a new song (Ps. 149:1), With musical instruments (Ps. 150:3-5), Clapping hands (Ps. 47:1), Lifting hands (Ps. 134:2), Lifting our voices (Ps. 66:8), Shouting (Ps. 32:11), Dancing (Ps. 149:3; 150:4), Kneeling, bowing or laying prostrate (Ps. 95:6), With banners (Ps. 20:5), Loudly (Ps. 150:5; Ps. 33:3 ASV), and With the manifestations/gifts of the Spirit (1Cor. 14:15; 12:8-10; 14:12, 26b, 32-33, 40).