“DO YOU REALLY WANT TO GROW?”
INTRO: Are you currently growing (spiritually)? Are you willing to do what it takes to grow?
EVIDENCES OF SPIRITUAL MATURITY (Eph. 4:11-16):
- Serving others (vv. 12, 16).
- Walking in unity (vv. 13a, 16a).
- Growing in our knowledge of God & becoming more like Jesus (v. 13b).
- Developing emotional & spiritual stability (v. 14).
- Speaking the truth in love (v. 15a).
- Connected relationally & functionally to a local community of believers (v. 16a).
- The church grows (v. 16b)!
SIX ELEMENTS OF SPIRITUAL GROWTH (some will overlap):
I. WE GROW WHEN WE FEED ON GOD’S WORD.
- God’s Word is spiritual nourishment to your spirit and soul (1Pet. 2:2; Matt. 4:4). How often do you eat?
II. WE GROW WHEN WE LEARN IN DIFFERENT WAYS.
- Different ways we learn (Job 33:14): auditory – listening; visual – seeing; verbal – talking; kinesthetic – doing.
- We typically learn the most, when we engage in all the different learning methods.
III. WE GROW WHEN WE DEVELOP SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES.
- You develop good habits by intentional repetition (Heb. 5:14; Jn. 13:17), and bad habits by default (1Cor. 9:24-27).
- Successful people are often successful not because they are more talented than unsuccessful people, but because they’re willing to do what unsuccessful people aren’t willing to do (Acts 2:46-47).
- Daily time alone with God (Bible, Prayer & Fasting) (Josh. 1:8; Matt. 17:21)
IV. WE GROW WHEN WE HELP EACH OTHER GROW.
- You need others to fully grow (Gen. 2:18; Rom. 1:11-12).
- The 56 “one another” Scriptures require one another!
- Individual members need the body (1Cor. 12:12-27).
- You can’t learn love alone (Heb. 10:24-25).
V. WE GROW WHEN WE EXPECT TO GROW (Matt. 9:29).
Believe for a specific personal miracle as well as for a church-wide refreshing (Acts 3:19).
VI. WE GROW WHEN WE COMMIT TO GROW.
Growth doesn’t happen just because we want to grow, but because we commit to doing what it takes to grow. Will you commit to grow (2Cor. 13:9; James 4:8; Jer. 29:13)!