“ENCOUNTERS WITH CHRIST – Pt. III” (Luke 5:1-11)
INTRO: In this series we’re focusing on encounters people in the gospels had with Christ and their impact. Let’s insert ourselves into the story and encounter Christ in the story!
I. ATTRACTED TO JESUS (Luke 5:1-3).
- The general population was attracted to Jesus (v. 1).
- Wherever Jesus went, the crowds gathered.
- Jesus taught the people from Peter’s boat (v. 3).
- Why were all kinds of people attracted to Jesus?
- Because of His teaching – with authority (4:32).
- Because of His miracles (4:36, 40-41).
- Because of who He was:
- The Son of God (Matt. 3:17; Jn. 1:34, 49)
- The Lamb of God who takes away sin (Jn. 1:29, 36).
- The Christ/Messiah (John 1:41, 45; Luke 4:41).
- The King of Israel (John 1:49).
II. THE MIRACLE OF THE GREAT CATCH (Luke 5:4-11).
- Jesus told Peter to launch out into the deep (v. 4).
- Peter reluctantly obeyed (v. 5). Will you do what Jesus asks even when it doesn’t make sense to the natural mind?
- Obedience led to a great catch of fish (vv. 6-7).
- Peter felt undone (vv. 8-10a).
- The call of Jesus and their response (vv. 10b-11).
- Don’t be afraid!
- You’re going to catch the souls of men.
- They forsook all and followed Jesus.
- What do you have to forsake to follow Jesus?
- Follow Jesus’ teachings, lifestyle, Person, & mission.
III. THE ENCOUNTERS WITH CHRIST OF THE FIRST FOUR FOLLOWERS OF JESUS (Mark 1:16-20).
- Peter & Andrew follow Jesus (Mark 1:16-18).
- Follow Jesus and He will make you become (v. 17)!
- James & John follow of Jesus (Mark 1:19-20).
CONCLUSION: Jesus calls ordinary people to do extraordinary things. Are you following Jesus? Will you launch out into the deep?