“ENCOUNTERS WITH CHRIST”
INTRO: This morning we’re going to begin a new series on the theme, Encounters with Christ. In this series we’re going to be focusing mostly on encounters people in the gospels had with Christ and the impact of those encounters. As we journey through these encounters, I encourage you to insert yourself into the story and encounter Christ in the story!
I. AN OVERVIEW OF HAVING EXPERIENCED JESUS CHRIST (1John 1:1-4).
- Jesus is not someone simply to know or believe about, but also, one to be experienced (v. 1).
- Jesus exuded life which can be experienced (v. 2).
- You are invited to experience this same Christ (v. 3)!
- Encountering Christ leads to fullness of joy (v. 4)!
II. AN INTRODUCTION OF JESUS CHRIST (John 1:1-14).
- In the Beginning Jesus Was (John 1:1-3).
- There was never a time Jesus did not exist (v. 1).
- Jesus was with God and was and is God (v. 2).
- Jesus was an active agent in creation (v. 3).
- Life and Light Exude from Jesus’ Being (John 1:4-5).
- Light doesn’t avoid darkness but dispels it!
- John Bore Witness of Jesus the Light (John 1:6-8).
- John had to encounter Jesus to bear witness of Jesus.
- John drew attend to Jesus, not himself (Jn. 3:30).
- Jesus’ Incarnation and Rejection (John 1:9-14).
- Jesus came to manifest true Light to the world (v. 9).
- Jesus was rejected by His own people (vv. 10-11).
- Those who receive Jesus become children of God (12).
- We become God’s children through spiritual birth (13).
- Jesus’ incarnation – God coming in flesh (v. 14).
- John’s Witness of Jesus (John 1:15-18).
CONCLUSION: Seek a fresh encounter with the living Person of Jesus Christ! Behold Him! There is more of Christ to encounter!