“FREE INDEED – Part 2”
INTRO: God wants us all to be truly free (John 8:32, 36)! Free – not being controlled by something or someone in a way that brings negative results (1Cor. 6:12; 1Thess. 4:4). The world doesn’t offer us true freedom, but rather behavior modification. The foundation for true freedom is fully committing & connecting to Christ (Jn. 8:36; Gal. 5:1; John 15:4-5).
I. FREEDOM IS A CHOICE (Prov. 18:21; Deut. 30:19; Gal. 5:1).
- To experience different results, do different things.
- No one can do it for you or can keep you from doing it!
- Are you ready to choose freedom?
II. TO CHANGE THE FRUIT, DEAL WITH THE ROOT.
The root determines the fruit (Prov. 12:12b; Jer. 12:2; Rom. 11:16; Hos. 9:6; Matt. 13:5-6, 20-21).
- You can’t get rid of bad fruit by cutting off the branches.
- True freedom comes from the inside out (Matt. 23:27).
- The Tree Analogy:
- Branches & fruit – Behaviors (both good and bad). Works of the flesh vs. the Fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:19-24)
- Trunk – Beliefs (which feed our behaviors).
- Roots – Exposures & Experiences (feed our beliefs).
Our beliefs are based on our interpretation (right or wrong) of life’s exposures and experiences.
Examples – Tracing the Fruit to the Root
III. HOW CAN WE EFFECTIVELY DEAL WITH OUR BELIEFS AND ROOTS?
- To deal with beliefs – renew your mind (Rom. 12:2).
- To deal with roots – submit them to truth & Christ’s transforming power (John 8:32, 36; Matt. 3:10a).
- Plant some holy roots (Rom. 11:16; Jer. 17:7-8; Ps. 1:1-3).
CONCLUSION: God wants us all to be truly free (John 8:32, 36; Gal. 5:1)! Freedom is a choice (Prov. 18:21a; Deut. 30:19; Gal. 5:1). Will you choose freedom? To change the fruit, you have to deal with the root. Will you go there?