“FREE INDEED – Part 3”
INTRO: God wants you to be truly free – not controlled by anything that brings negative results (Jn. 8:32, 36)!
I. TO CHANGE THE FRUIT (behavior), RENEW YOUR MIND.
- Renewing the mind, which is an ongoing process, leads to a transformed life (Rom. 12:1-2).
II. RENEWING YOUR MIND INVOLVES REPLACING LIES WITH TRUTH BY ABIDING IN GOD’S WORD (Jn. 8:31-32).
- Knowing [experientially] the truth makes us free.
- Not knowing the truth [believing lies] leads to bondage.
- Renewing the mind comes by abiding in Jesus’ Word.
III. THE PROCESS OF RENEWING YOUR MIND WITH GOD’S WORD.
- Identify wrong thinking (lies) (Isa. 55:8-9).
- Saturate yourself in God’s truth.
- Approach God’s truth with hunger, humility & faith.
- Trace the fruit to the roots.
- Identify right thinking (the truth that counters the lie).
- Believe the truth regardless of your emotions, understanding or our culture.
- Replace the wrong thinking (lies) with right thinking (truth) (2Cor. 10:5; Phil. 4:8; Col. 3:2; Eph. 4:23).
- Acting on truth may mean some life changes (Ja. 2:26).
- Focus more on believing the truth than not believing the lie!
IV. THE IMPORTANCE OF SATURATING YOURSELF IN GOD’S WORD (Josh. 1:8: Ps. 1:1-3; Col. 2:8; 2Tim. 3:15-17).
V. THE TRAIL ANALOGY.
- Trails are made and lost through use and disuse.
- Neuroplasticity – the ability of the brain to produce new thought patterns.
- You can’t always control which thoughts come into your mind, but you can control which thoughts you invite to sit down at the table!
CONCLUSION: Will you change the fruit by dealing with the root – by the ongoing process of renewing your mind?