“GRAVE MATTERS – II” [What About the Resurrection?]
REVIEW/INTRO: Last week we began a series about death, resurrection and eternity. At death, the body goes to the grave and the spirit of the righteous goes to heaven to await the resurrection. The spirit of the unrighteous goes to hades (not hell) to await the resurrection and judgment. What kind of body did Jesus get at His resurrection? The same kind we’ll get (1Cor. 6:14; Phil. 3:20-21)!
I. THE FIRST EASTER – JESUS’ RESURRECTION (Matt. 28:1-20; Mk. 16:1-20; Lk. 24:1-53; Jn. 20:1-31; 21:1-14; Acts 1:1-11).
II. CHARACTERISTICS OF JESUS’ RESURRECTED BODY:
- He could appear to look like an ordinary person.
- He could pass through doors/walls, appear & disappear.
- He had flesh and bones (not a spirit), and could eat food.
III. THE RESURRECTION (1Cor. 15).
- There will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous (Acts 24:15; Jn. 5:28-29).
- It’s at Christ’s 2nd Coming (1Thess. 4:13-16; 1Cor. 15:51-52).
- What happens after the resurrection? [deal with next week]
- The Gospel that saves – Christ’s death & resurrection (vv. 1-4).
- The eyewitnesses to Christ’s resurrection (vv. 5-8).
- Evidence/firstfruits of our resurrection (vv. 12-13, 16, 20).
- If Christ isn’t risen, we’re lost/hopeless (vv. 14-19).
- If no resurrection, Paul suffered for naught (vv. 30-32).
- Christ is reigning until all enemies are under His feet, the last enemy to be destroyed being death (vv. 25-26).
- Jesus will deliver the kingdom to God the Father (v. 24).
- How does the resurrection work – it’s essence (vv. 35-44)?
- From 1st Adam’s likeness to last Adam’s likeness (vv. 45-49).
- In the twinkling of an eye (vv. 51-53).
- Death is swallowed up in victory (vv. 54-57).
- Don’t give up – persevere (v. 58; Rom. 8:18, 23, 25)!
CONCLUSION: Jesus rose from the dead with a glorified body, and so will you – at Christ’s 2nd Coming – our hope!Then what happens? That’s what we’ll look at next week!