“GRAVE MATTERS” Part 3: What About the Judgment?
INTRO: In this series about death, resurrection and eternity, we’ve looked so far at death and resurrection. The resurrection happens at Christ’s Second Coming (1Thess. 4:13-18). What happens after the resurrection?
I. ETERNAL JUDGMENT (Heb. 6:1-2; 9:27; Jn. 5:28-29).
- The eternal judgment for the righteous which is not of sin but of works for eternal rewards.
- The eternal judgment for the unrighteous which is of sin for eternal punishment.
- There is a preliminary judgment at death to determine if one’s spirit goes to heaven or hades (Heb. 9:27; Jn. 5:28-29).
- After death there’s no changing one’s destiny.
II. THE FAIRNESS OF THE ETERNAL JUDGMENT.
- It will be righteous and just (Gen. 18:25; Ps. 119:160).
- It has been transferred to the Son (Jn. 5:22, 26-27).
- What is the criteria for the judgment?
- The gospel of truth (Rom. 2:16; Jn. 17:17).
- One’s spiritual condition at death (Heb. 9:27).
- According to deeds (Rom. 2:6; 1Pet. 1:17; Rev. 20:12; Ja. 2:26).
- Without partiality (1Pet. 1:17; Rom. 2:11; 1Sam. 16:7).
- According to the truth given (Lk. 12:48; Rom. 1:20; 2:12).
- Personally – each one will stand alone (Ezek. 18:20).
III. THE ETERNAL JUDGMENT FOR THE RIGHTEOUS (Rom. 14:10, 12; 2Cor. 5:10).
- Not of sin, but of works for eternal rewards (1Cor. 3:11-15)!
- Not of sin (Jn. 5:24; 3:18; Rom. 8:1; Ps. 103:12; Isa. 43:25; 1Jn. 1:9)!
- Works tested by fire to determine rewards (1Cor. 3:11-15).
- Criteria: Motives, obedience, faith, stewardship, etc.
- Rewards (Matt. 25:14-30; Lk. 19:11-27): authority in kingdom.
IV. THE ETERNAL JUDGMENT FOR THE UNRIGHTEOUS.
- A judgment of sin for eternal punishment (Rev. 20:11-15).
- Those not found in the Book of Life will be cast into the eternal lake of fire (hell, Gehenna) (vv. 14-15).
CONCLUSION: There will be a resurrection and eternal judgment. Are you ready (Gen. 18:25; Rom. 11:33)?