“GRAVE MATTERS – Part 4” [What About the Millennium and Eternity?]
INTRO: We’re in a series about death, resurrection and eternity. We’ve looked at what happens when we die, the resurrection, and the judgment (which follows Christ’s return). Today’s focus: the millennium and eternity.
I. What about the Millennium (Rev. 20:1-10)?
- The millennium is defined as a 1,000-year period of time (literal or figurative?) of Christ ruling with the saints.
- THE THREE PRIMARY MILLENNIAL VIEWS:
- Pre-millennial – Jesus returns before a literal 1,000-year reign of Christ on the earth.
- A-millennial – typically sees the millennium occurring presently in heaven (figurative 1,000 years).
- Post-millennial – typically sees the millennium occurring presently on earth (figurative 1,000 years).
- Characteristics: The devil bound (vv. 1-3). The saints reign with Christ (vv. 4, 6). After, the devil is released to deceive and gather nations against the saints, but is devoured by fire from God (vv. 3, 7-9), then is cast into the lake of fire forever (v. 10).
- The above is interpreted in various ways and in various degrees of literal/figurative & past/present/future.
II. After the Judgment, those not Written in the Book of Life will be Cast into the Lake of Fire (Rev. 20:15; 21:8).
III. Those Written in the Book of Life will be Given Eternal Rewards (Rom. 2:6; 1Cor. 3:14; Matt. 25:21, 34; Rev. 22:12).
IV. After the Judgment, a New Heaven & New Earth (Isa. 65:17; 66:22; 2 Pet. 3:10, 12-13).
- This is interpreted with varying degrees of literal (future) and figurative (some see as already past).
- Renovation by some degree with fire (vv. 10).
V. The New Jerusalem (Rev. 21-22:5).
- Heaven & earth are married/become one (v. 2; Mt. 6:10).
- Characteristics of eternal state (Rev. 21:3-22:5).
CONCLUSION: (2Pet. 3:11, 14; Rev. 22:17, 20-21) What about the Rapture, Tribulation, & 2nd Coming? Next!