Part 5: What About the Rapture, Tribulation & 2nd Coming?
INTRO: We’re in a series about death, resurrection and eternity. We’ve looked at what happens when we die, the resurrection, the judgment (which follows Christ’s return), the millennium and eternity. What about the rapture, tribulation and the Second Coming of Christ?
Disclaimers: Don’t break fellowship just because someone has a different end-time view then you (1Cor. 13:9, 12)!
Three End-Time Non-Negotiables: 1) Jesus is coming back! 2) Be ready! 3) Be victorious! What’s your view and why? Be willing to search the Scriptures & change (Acts 17:10-11).
I. Does it really matter what we believe about the end-times? Yes & No. The wrong view won’t keep you from heaven, but the right view can make your journey more enjoyable and productive. Should you focus on vacating the earth or transforming it?
II. What is the history of the dispensational pre-mill view?
Imminent Rapture -> 7-Year Tribulation on earth -> 2nd Coming of Christ -> Literal 1,000-year Millennium.
- Up until about 1830 the historical church believed in a single return of Christ (not rapture, trib, 2nd coming).
III. How did the dispensational pre-mill view take root?
- The Jesuit Priest & Futurism (1500’s – early 1800’s).
- Edward Irving & Margaret MacDonald 91830).
- John Nelson Darby (1800-1882) & C.I. Scofield (1909).
- Moody Bible Institute & Dallas Theological Seminary.
- Hal Lindsey, “The Late Great Planet Earth” (1970).
- Tim LaHaye & Jerry Jenkins, “Left Behind” (1990’s). *Is it true? Why would God allow it to be hidden for so long?
IV. Doesn’t Matt. 24:37-42 teach the rapture?
- The flood took away the unrighteous & left behind Noah.
- The ones taken are the unrighteous in judgment, not the righteous in the rapture (vv. 40-41)!
CONCLUSION: “Live like He could come today, plan like He won’t come in your lifetime.”