“I CAN’T BREATHE!”
INTRO: These were the words George Floyd cried out many times on Memorial Day before he finally died. Many people have taken up this cry feeling that systemic racism is keeping them from being able to breathe – to experience life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. “I CAN’T BREATHE” is also the cry of many who have the Covid-19 virus! Also, many people, regardless of race, feel that life is being choked out of them by life’s adversities. God wants us to live out of a kingdom culture orientation over an earthly cultural orientation (Rom. 9:6-12). There is true racial equality in the kingdom of God culture (Gal. 3:26, 28). In the family of God, you become a part of a new nationality (1Pet. 2:9-10)! In the family of God, we are one new humanity regardless of our earthly culture and are called to live in peace and show respect and love for everyone (Eph. 2:13-22). What is the solution for feeling like you can’t breathe?
I. ADAM COULDN’T BREATHE (Gen. 2:7)!
- Before God breathed into Adam’s nostrils the breath/spirit of life, Adam couldn’t breathe (Ja. 2:26)!
- The church body without the Spirit of Christ is dead!
- We need God to breathe upon His people (Jn. 20:22)!
II. THE DRY BONES COULDN’T BREATHE (Ezek. 37:1-14)!
- Ezekiel saw in the Spirit a valley full of dry bones (vv. 1-2).
- God’s breath (Spirit) would cause the bones to live (v. 5)!
- The bones didn’t live until the breath came (vv. 7-9)!
- Those that can’t breathe need the breath/Spirit of God to breathe on them (Ezek. 37:10, 14; Jn. 20:22)!
III. THE EARLY CHURCH COULD BREATHE (Acts 2:2, 4, 16-19, 21; Joel 2:28-32)!
- The early church had God breathe on them (Acts 2:2, 4).
- God wants to pour out His Spirit on all flesh, regardless of race, gender, age or social status (Acts 2:16-17).
- God’s Spirit unites races, genders, generations and different economic levels (Acts 2:18)!
- Let’s expect signs, wonders & conversions (Acts 2:19, 21