“INSIDE OUT” (Part 6)
REVIEW/INTRO: We’re called to impact the marketplace by (Luke 10): 1) Bless by speaking peace (vv. 5-6), 2) Fellowship (vv. 7-8), 3) Minister to felt needs (v. 9a), and 4) Proclaim the gospel (v. 9b).
I. MARKETPLACE PERSPECTIVES
- In the Bible, God mostly chose marketplace people.
- Jesus was a tradesman in the marketplace (Mark 6:2-3).
- Jesus’ parables were often about life in the marketplace.
- Jesus hung around people from all walks of life.
- Marketplace people supported Jesus’ ministry (Lk. 8:1-3).
- Paul supported his ministry as a tentmaker (Acts 18:1-3).
- We’re to go to where the people are (Matt. 28:18-19).
- Look for the people responding to your speaking peace.
- You will have to make room in your schedule for this!
II. FELLOWSHIP WITH THOSE YOU’VE BEEN BLESSING (v. 7-8)
- Focus on only a few.
- Be persistent and patient – don’t give up prematurely.
- True relationship involves mutuality (giving & receiving).
- Jesus was a friend of sinners (Matt. 11:19; Luke 19:5).
III. WHY RELATIONSHIP BEFORE PROCLAMATION?
- To help establish a level of trust.
- To show unconditional love and acceptance.
IV. WAYS TO FELLOWSHIP (Prov. 18:24)
- Get to know them.
- Show interest in what interests them.
- Invite them to do what you like to do.
- Offer to help them with a practical task.
- Invite them over for a meal or dessert (play games, etc.).
- Be led by the Spirit.
V. PRINCIPLES OF RELATIONSHIP
- 4 Levels: Acquaintance, Casual, Close and Covenant.
- What determines the level of relationship?
- The RISK Factor – higher level, greater risk of hurt.
- “T” Factors – Time, Transparency, Trust & Tolerance.
- How do we go deeper? Risk more, invest more of the “T” factors, be confidential, loyal, trustworthy, forgiving, love unconditionally & resolve conflict rather than run from it.