“INSIDE OUT” (Part 7)
REVIEW/INTRO: We’re called to impact the marketplace by (Luke 10): 1) Bless by speaking peace (vv. 5-6), 2) Fellowship (vv. 7-8), 3) Minister to felt needs (v. 9a), and 4) Proclaim the gospel (v. 9b).
3. MINISTER TO FELT NEEDS (v. 9). And heal the sick there…
I. BE SENSITIVE TO DISCOVER THEIR FELT NEEDS.
A. Observation. You observe their needs.
B. Communication. They share their needs.
C. Revelation. God reveals their needs.
II. MINISTER TO THEIR FELT NEEDS IN PRACTICAL WAYS.
A. Love with your actions, not just words (James 2:15-16).
B. Love shows mercy by using our personal resources to minister to the practical needs of others (Luke 10:25-37).
- Our neighbor is the person in need we encounter.
- See the need. Have compassion. Get involved.
- The focus shifts from “Who is my neighbor?” to “Whose neighbor am I?” (v. 36)
- “Go and do likewise” (v. 37)!
- This is better than a church or government program!
- If you see it, you fix it!
C. Jesus followers serve like Jesus did – wash the feet of others (John 13:4-17).
III. OFFER TO PRAY FOR THEIR FELT NEEDS AND DO IT.
A. If appropriate, pray for them personally while they listen.
B. Pray regularly for them in your personal prayer time.
C. Prayer Pointers:
- Ask how you can be praying for them.
- Ask God to lead you by His Spirit.
- From time to time, ask for an update.
- Be persistent in prayer (Luke 18:1-8; James 5:16b).
- Don’t condemn or make excuses.
- Be cautious about giving advice and remedies!
D. What if answers to prayer don’t seem to be happening?
- Keep praying and believing.
- Remember, you are offering prayer, not guarantees.