“JUBILEE MAKEOVER – Pt. 6”
REVIEW/INTRO: So far in this series we’ve looked at: 1) Authentic Love. 2) Intentional, Relational Disciple-Making. 3) Enthusiastic Serving with Excellence. 4) Cultural & Generational Diversity. In todays’ message, we’re going to look at the 5th (and final) Core Value that is also a part of our Jubilee Church Culture: Passionate Worship. What if I don’t like to sing?
I. WHAT IS PASSIONATE WORSHIP?
- Abraham worshiped by obeying God sacrificially (Gen. 22:5).
- Worship is passing the obedience test out of reverence for God, which generally involves sacrifice (Heb. 13:15a).
- To humbly bow down in reverence to God (Gen. 22:12).
- The act of showing reverence to God.
- Two sources of expression: 1) Human – how we want to worship God (we decide). 2) Divine – how God wants to be worshiped (God decides).
- Passionate worship is authentic (with right motive) and enthusiastic (with energy) worship.
- Only God should be worshiped (Ex. 34:14; Matt. 4:8-10).
- True worship brings God’s blessings (Gen. 22:16b-17)!
II. TWO PICTURES OF PASSIONATE WORSHIP.
- David (2Sam. 6:14-16, 20-23).
- His wife despised his worship, which resulted in her Barrenness (vv. 16, 20-23).
- On which side of the window are you? Spectator or Participator? Critic or Practitioner?
- A leper (Luke 17:12-19). Only 1 of 10 healed lepers returned to give glory to God. Which leper are you?
III. TWO PRIORITIES FOR CORPORATE WORSHIP.
- Edification of the church as a whole over edification of the individual (vv. 3-5, 12, 17, 26).
- Understanding of the church as a whole over mysterious personal expression (vv. 1-2, 6-11, 16, 18-19).
- Corporate edification requires corporate understanding.
CONCLUSION: It’s not about you, but about Him and us!