“LIFE IN THE SPIRIT – Pt. 2” (Rom. 8:18-39)
INTRO: Today we’re going to finish Romans 8 by looking at some more ways the Holy Spirit wants to work in your life.
1. The creation is in birth pangs anticipating seeing believers come to their full maturity (vv. 18-22).
- Our current sufferings (temporal) are nothing compared to our future glory (eternal) (v. 18)!
- The whole creation is longing expectantly for the children of God to reach their full potential (v. 19).
- The creation was negatively impacted because of man’s sin (Gen. 3:17-19), but has a hope of (groans for) future redemption (vv. 20-22; Jn. 16:20b-22).
2. The Spirit in us is a down-payment which gives us the hope of a resurrected body (vv. 23-25).
- We groan for our resurrected, glorified body (v. 23).
- The firstfruits of the Spirit is the first deposit or down payment, guaranteeing the rest to come.
- We are to persevere in this hope (vv. 24-25; Rom. 15:13).
3. The Holy Spirit helps us pray according to the will of God (vv. 26-27).
4. God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love and serve Him (v. 28).
5. Foreknew -> predestined – > called – > justified – > glorified (vv. 29-30).
6. FIVE WAYS GOD IS FOR YOU (vv. 31-39):
1) God is more for you than anyone else can be against you (v. 31)!
2) God gave up Jesus that everything we need to fulfill our God-given purposes would be provided for us (v. 32).
3) God’s justification of you is greater than anyone else’s condemnation of you (vv. 33-34; Heb. 7:24-25).
4) No one and nothing can separate you from God’s love for you (vv. 35-39; 2Cor. 11:23-28; 12:10)!
5) In all you will ever face, you are more than a conqueror as you trust in God and His love for you (v. 37).
CONCLUSION: This is our hope – persevere (v. 25)!