“LIVING 24/6 IN A 24/7 WORLD – Pt. II”
REVIEW/INTRO: Living 24/7 is living life non-stop. God created us to function best living 24/6 – observing Sabbath.
- The Sabbath started by God choosing to Sabbath (rest from all His work) after the 6 days of creation (Gen. 2:1-3).
- God gave the Sabbath to man to observe (Ex. 16:23-30).
- It was included in the 10 Commandments (Ex. 20:8-11).
- It continued to be observed in the rest of the O.T.
- Jesus observed the Sabbath, emphasizing the spirit of the Sabbath vs. the letter of the Sabbath (Mark 2:27-28).
- The early church observed the Sabbath (Acts 17:1-2; 18:4).
I. WHICH DAY IS THE SABBATH?
- In the O.T.: from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.
- In the N.T.: Sunday to commemorate Jesus’ resurrection.
- Don’t judge one another regarding sabbaths (Col. 2:16-17).
- Develop your own convictions (Rom. 14:5, 10-13, 19, 22).
II. THE STOLEN SABBATH DAY.
- The Sabbath when I was growing up vs. today.
- Our culture has stolen the Sabbath from us and hardly anyone seems to have noticed or cares. Is that okay?
- Are there consequences (Gal. 6:7-8; Deut. 5:15)?
- Are you going to do anything about it? What?
- What example is your Sabbath setting for your children, and what impact will that have on them in the future?
III. HOW CAN WE PULL OFF 24/6 IN A 24/7 WORLD?
- Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28), so earnestly seek Him regarding how He wants you to observe it.
- Focus more on the spirit of the Sabbath than the letter of the law (Matt. 12:9-14).
- A person is more valuable than an animal, therefore it is not violating the Sabbath to minister to a person in need.
- Ministering to human need doesn’t violate the spirit of the Sabbath.
CONCLUSION: Is God wanting you in 2018 to learn to live 24/6 in a 24/7 world? Will you?