“LIVING 24/6 IN A 24/7 WORLD – Pt. III”
REVIEW/INTRO: Living 24/7 is living life non-stop. God created us to function best living 24/6 – observing Sabbath.
- Remembering the Sabbath day is the 4th of the 10 Commandments (Ex. 20:1-2, 8-11).
- Jesus observed the Sabbath, emphasizing the spirit of the Sabbath vs. the letter of the Sabbath (Mark 2:27-28).
- The early church observed the Sabbath (Acts 17:1-2; 18:4).
- We shouldn’t judge one another regarding sabbaths, and we should develop and follow our own convictions, with-out trying to push them off on others (Col. 2:16-17; Rom. 14).
I. HOW CAN WE PULL OFF 24/6 IN A 24/7 WORLD?
- Make Jesus the Lord of your Sabbath (Mark 2:28).
- Focus more on the spirit of the Sabbath than the letter of the law (Mk. 2:27; Matt. 12:9-14).
- The 3 “R’s” grid: Reverence (Lev. 23:3), Rest & Renewal.
II. SABBATH PREPARATION CONSIDERATIONS:
- What things do you normally do on Sabbath that you could do another day, or not do at all? Maintenance? Miscellaneous (Neh. 10:31; see also 13:15-22)? Media? Socializing? Entertainment/Recreation (Isa. 58:13-14)?
- Grids to use as filters for the Sabbath:
- The 3 “R’s” grid: Reverence, Rest & Renewal.
- The “Common” grid. Do you do this the other 6 days?
- The Philippians 4:8-9 grid.
- Consider sticking close to home and enjoying your immediate surroundings (Ex. 16:29; Ps. 23:1-3).
CONCLUSION: Is God speaking to you to learn 24/6 living in a 24/7 world – to Remember the Sabbath? Like any skill, it will take some practice and experimenting to get skillful at living 24/6. Make Jesus the Lord of your Sabbath (Mark 2:28). Focus more on the spirit of the Sabbath than the letter of the law (Mk. 2:27; Matt. 12:9-14): Reverence, Rest & Renewal. Take some time to reflect on and plan how you’re going to Sabbath. Don’t try to impress God, but position yourself where He can make an impression on you!