“LIVING 24/6 IN A 24/7 WORLD – Pt. IV – Conclusion”
REVIEW/INTRO: Living 24/7 is living life non-stop. God created us to function best living 24/6 – observing Sabbath.
- The Sabbath is the 4th Commandment (Ex. 20:1-2, 8-11).
- Jesus observed the spirit of the Sabbath (Mark 2:27-28).
- The early church observed the Sabbath (Acts 17:1-2; 18:4).
- We shouldn’t judge one another regarding sabbaths, and we should develop and follow our own convictions, with-out trying to push them off on others (Col. 2:16; Rom. 14).
HOW CAN WE PULL OFF 24/6 IN A 24/7 WORLD?
- Make Jesus the Lord of your Sabbath (Mark 2:28).
- Focus more on the spirit of the Sabbath than the letter of the law (Mk. 2:27; Matt. 12:9-14).
- The 3 “R’s” grid: Reverence (Lev. 23:3), Rest & Renewal.
SABBATH PREPARATION CONSIDERATIONS:
What things do you normally do on Sabbath that you could do another day, or not do all? Maintenance? Miscellaneous? Media? Socializing? Entertainment/Recreation?
I. WON’T I GET BORED?
- Perhaps if you’re boring and/or bored with God!
- Persevere and you may find God on the other side!
II. WHAT IF I CAN’T AFFORD THE TIME OFF?
- Can you afford not to take the time to sharpen the axe?
- True manna on the Sabbath doesn’t exist or rots (Ex. 16:16-30).
- Will you trust God for sufficient manna the other 6 days?
III. IS IT POSSIBLE TO LIVE 24/6 IN A 24/7 WORLD?
Hobby Lobby, Chick-fil-A, B & H Photo Video – NYC, Eric Liddell, Chariots of Fire
IV. JESUS SABBATH STORIES.
- Picking grain to eat on the Sabbath (Mark 2:23-28).
- Jesus heals a woman with an infirmity (Luke 13:10-17).
- Jesus heals a crippled man (John 5:1-16).
- The hypocrisy of circumcising on the Sabbath (Jn. 7:19-24).
V. WORK AT REST (Heb. 4:1, 3, 4, 7, 9-11)!
CONCLUSION: Is God speaking to you about entering His rest – learning to live 24/6 in a 24/7 world (Matt. 11:28-29)?