“LIVING A BLESSED LIFE IN A CURSED ECONOMY – Pt. III”
INTRO: God wants you to live a blessed life (Deut. 28:1-9)!
- Studies show that as income increases, the percentage of what people give generally decreases. -$10,000 income = 5.2% giving. +$200,000 income = 0.7% giving.
“The Blessed Test” – God uses the money that flows to you to test you regarding who or what is really first in your life. “THE FIRST HAS THE POWER TO BLESS THE REST!”
THE PRINCIPLE OF THE FIRST-BORN (Ex. 13:1-2, 12-13).
- The firstborn of everything was to be sacrificed or redeemed (Ex. 13:1-2, 12-13).
- The clean had the ability to redeem the unclean.
- The first part has the power to bless the rest!
- What do you do with your first’s – the first part of your day, week and paycheck?
- The example of salvation. Jesus was God’s first!
THE PRINCIPLE OF THE FIRST-FRUITS (Prov. 3:9-10).
- God promises to give us plenty IF we honor Him with the firstfruits of ALL our increase.
- The firstfruits is the FIRST part of your increase.
- ALL your increase means ALL your increase!
- It is an issue of worship, obedience, and trust.
- If it’s not the FIRST tenth, it’s not the firstfruits!
- Jesus was God’s firstfruits!
- Isn’t tithing pat of the law, and therefore not for today?
- What’s your motive for asking the question?
- Tithing began before the law (Gen. 14:18-20; 28:18-22).
- Why is the fullest teaching in the last O.T. book?
- The N.T. affirms tithing (Matt. 23:23; Heb. 7:8).
- The N.T. standard is higher than the O.T. (Matt. 5:21-48).
“The righteousness of grace exceeds that of the law.”
- If something was wrong under the law, is it right under grace?
- If something was right under the law, is it wrong under grace?
CONCLUSION: How are you doing on your blessed text? Are your “firsts” blessing the rest?
- Have you been using the O.T. as an excuse for not tithing?