MISSIONAL REALIGNMENT – Pt. 1 [Ezra chapters 1-2]
INTRO: Sometimes we need a life reset to realign our life around our personal God-given mission. Technology resets are occasionally needed to clear some of the clutter that hinders performance. Do you need some clutter cleared?
BACKGROUND TO THE BOOK OF EZRA
- Author – Ezra a priest & scribe (Ezra 7:6, 11).
- Exile – 70 years of captivity (2Ki. 24:12-16) (608-538 B.C.).
OVERVIEW OF THE BOOK OF EZRA
- The 1st group under Zerubbabel (ch. 1-6) (538-515 B.C.).
- The 2nd group under Ezra over 60 years later (458 B.C.) (chapters 7-10).
I. THE DECREE OF CYRUS, KING OF PERSIA (1:1-4).
- Jeremiah’s 70-year captivity prophesy (1:1; Jer. 29:10).
- God stirred up king Cyrus to make a decree allowing Jews to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple (1:2-3).
- Those who stayed gave (1:4).
- God will go to great lengths to fulfill His Word to you!
- God can stir up the spirit of whoever He chooses to fulfill His Word to you (Prov. 21:1; Ps. 60:11; 108:12; 146:3)!
II. THE JEWS’ RESPONSE TO CYRUS’ DECREE (1:5-11).
- Those whose spirits God moved upon went (1:5).
- Those who stayed gave (1:6).
- The stolen articles of worship were restored (1:7-11).
- Is God moving on your spirit to arise? Will you?
- Will you give to support God’s work?
- God is going to restore some aspects of worship that have been stolen from His church! Get ready!
III. A LIST OF THE RETURNING CAPTIVES (2:1-70).
- The people are listed by community or family identity.
- Who is your community? Who are your people?
CONCLUSION: Do you need a “Missional Realignment?” Do you need a life reset in order to clear some clutter and realign your life around your personal God-given mission?