“MISSIONAL REALIGNMENT – Pt. 2” (Ezra 2-3)
REVIEW/INTRO: Do you need a life reset to clear the clutter and realign your life around your God-given mission? This is what God’s people needed and experienced in Ezra.
I. A LIST OF THE RETURNING CAPTIVES (2:1-70).
- Listed by community (v. 3-35) or family identity (vv. 36-58).
- 6 listings both by family identity & ministry calling (vv. 36-58).
- Who is your family, people & community (vv. 59-62)?
- Are you committed to your community? This will cost you some of your independence, time, and tolerance.
- God has a place for everyone who is willing to be connected and willing to use their gifts to serve.
- The people not only went, but also gave (vv. 68-69).
II. WORSHIP RESTORED (3:1-7).
- They set up the altar of burnt offerings (vv. 1-3).
- They gathered with a unified vision (v. 1; Phil. 1:27; 1Pet. 3:8).
- The altar was a place of worship (sacrifice, prayer).
- They built the altar in spite of the fear (v. 3). Will you?
- They keep the Feast of Tabernacles (vv. 4-7).
- They celebrated harvest and God’s provision. Will you?
- They gave offerings. Are you (Heb. 13:15; Luke 21:4)?
- They didn’t wait to worship till the work was finished.
- Celebrate the small victories! Don’t wait to worship!
III. RESTORATION OF THE TEMPLE BEGINS (vv. 8-13).
- They lay the temple’s foundation (vv. 8-10a).
- Again, there’s a place for everyone, including you!
- Not all ministry is outward or impressive, but important!
- Can we count on you to do your part?
- They celebrate the laying of the foundation (vv. 10-13).
- They prepared to praise. Do you? Will you?
- They celebrated the small victories. Do you? Will you?
- God is always worthy of praise in all circumstances!
- Different generations praised God differently.
- Celebrate and respect diversity of ways to praise.
- All have a place in praise. What’s your place?