“MISSIONAL REALIGNMENT – Pt. 4”
INTRO: Sometimes we need a life reset to clear some of life’s clutter and realign our life around our God-given mission. This is what God’s people did in the book of Ezra.
Chapter 1 – the first group of Jews leave Babylonian captivity and go to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple.
Chapter 2 – a list of the Jewish captives who returned.
Chapter 3 – they worship when they get to Jerusalem.
Chapter 4 – as they begin building the walls, opposition comes against them and the work is temporarily stopped.
I. THE REBUILDING RESUMES (5:1-2).
- The ministry of the prophets led to the work resuming.
- The church & world need true prophetic ministry.
II. MORE OPPOSITION IS FACED (5:3-17).
- The local authorities questioned them (5:3).
- We will face opposition as we serve and obey God.
- Are you facing opposition? How are you handling it?
- God was with them, so the work continued (v. 4-5).
- Tattenai’s letter to Darius king of Persia (5:6-17):
- Review of their progress & questioned them (vv. 8-10).
- The Jew’s answer: Cyrus decreed it (vv. 11-16):
- “Darius, see if it’s true and let us know” (v. 17).
III. THE DECREE OF DARIUS (6:1-13).
- King Darius found Cyrus’ decree (6:1-2).
- It was just as the Jews said (6:3-5; chapter 1).
- King Darius’ response to governor Tattenai (6:6-13):
- Leave them alone and pay for it, which he did.
IV. THE TEMPLE COMPLETED & DEDICATED (6:14-18).
- They finished the temple (v. 14; 1Cor. 15:58; Gal. 6:9)!
- They dedicated the temple (vv. 15-18).
V. WORSHIP IN THE TEMPLE IS RESTORED (6:19-22).
- They kept the Passover (vv. 19-20).
- They purified themselves in order to seek God (v. 21).
- They kept the feast of Unleavened Bread (v. 22a).
- God turned the king’s heart towards them (v. 22b).
CONCLUSION: Worship – even for the little things!