“PRAYING & FASTING FOR A BREAKTHROUGH”
TEXT: Matthew 17:14-21; see also Mark 9:17-29
INTRO: Today at Jubilee we are launching 40 Days of Prayer:
- For a specific personal miracle.
- For a church-wide refreshing (Acts 3:19b).
What specific personal miracle will you going to go after? The father in our text was desperate for a miracle. Are you?This kind only goes out by prayer and fasting (Matt. 17:21). Are you up against a “this kind?” Are you willing to fast and pray for a miracle? Fasting helps us overcome unbelief.
I. WHAT IS FASTING?
- Biblical fasting is abstaining from all foods, but not water.
- Fasts can be regular or occasional.
II. WHAT ARE THE PURPOSES & BENEFITS OF FASTING?
- To worship God & draw closer to Him (Lk. 2:37; Acts 13:2).
- To humble yourself before God (Ps. 35:13; Ezra 8:21).
- To repent (1Sam. 7:6; Neh. 9:1-2).
- To seek God for direction (Ezra 8:21; Acts 13:2).
- To seek God for protection & victory (Ezra 8:21-31 Jud. 20).
- To overcome temptation & the devil’s attacks (Mt. 4:1-11).
- To gain greater control over the flesh (Gal. 5:17; Rom. 8:6).
- To set apart for ministry (Acts 13:2-3; 14:23).
- To break through barriers (Isaiah 58:3-14).
- To be openly rewarded by God (Matt. 6:16, 18).
III. HOW DO YOU FAST AND WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT?
- Be led by the Spirit or simply choose to fast (Mt. 6:16-17).
- Decide why, how and how long you are going to fast.
- Don’t draw attention to your fasting (Matt. 6:16-18).
- Expect opposition.
- THREE OVERLAPPING PHASES OF FASTING:
- Craving for food.
- Weakness and faintness.
- Growing strength.
CONCLUSION: There are some breakthroughs that will only come by prayer and fasting (Matt. 7:21)! Will you pray and fast for your breakthrough? Won’t it be worth it?