“PURPOSE & PROCESS – Part 2”
INTRO: God’s ultimate purpose for mankind is to be conformed to the image of Jesus (Rom. 8:28-29).
THE PROCESS FOR FULFILLING THE PURPOSE:
I. A REVELATION OF JESUS (2Cor. 3:18; 1Jn. 3:2).
- As we behold the Lord’s glory, we are transformed into the same image by the Spirit of the Lord (2Cor. 3:18; 4:1).
- When we see Jesus as He is, that revelation will cause us to become like Him (1Jn. 3:2)!
II. SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES (1Tim. 4:7-8; Jn. 15:4-5).
- Spiritual disciplines – prayer, fasting, reading God’s Word, corporate worship, etc.
- Spiritual disciplines are like spiritual exercises (1Tim. 4:7-8).
- Abide in Jesus to bear the fruit of Jesus’ image (Jn. 15:4-5).
III. CIRCUMSTANCES (Rom. 8:28).
- This verse is only true for those who love God (Jn. 14:15; 21) and for those who give themselves to the calling of God’s purpose of being conformed to the image of Jesus.
- Then, all things that happen to us work together for our good of being conformed to the image of Jesus.
- God uses but does doesn’t orchestrate all circumstances.
- Sources of Circumstances: God, devil, others, us, coincidences (random) and living in a fallen world.
- The pace of the process: gradual, slow, slower, even slower, stuck, and backsliding.
IV. HOW THE PROCESS OF CIRCUMSTANCES WORKS.
- Consider yourself fortunate when you face trials (Ja. 1:2).
- The testing of faith produces patience/endurance (Ja. 1:3).
- Trust the process rather than taking shortcuts (Ja. 1:4).
- Ask God for wisdom in your trials (Ja. 1:5).
- Welcome your trials as friends (James 1:2 Phillips)!
“Give others the right to be themselves, but, give them the right not to give you the right to be yourself!” – Bill Hamon