“PUTTING CHRIST BACK IN CHRISTIANITY – Part 3”
I. THE PREEMINENCE OF CHRIST (1:13-19).
- Christ’s Triumphal Entry (Luke 19:38).
Five Realms of Christ’s Preeminence:
- Christ is Preeminent in Salvation (Col. 1:13-14).
- He has delivered us from the power of darkness (v. 13a).
- He has translated us into the kingdom of Christ (v. 13b).
- He has redeemed (forgiven – to cancel a debt) us (v. 14).
- Christ is Preeminent in Creation (Col. 1:15-17).
- He’s the image of God (v. 15a; Jn. 1:18; 14:9; Heb. 1:3).
- He’s the firstborn over all creation (v. 15b).
- “Firstborn” – He preceded & is sovereign over creation
- Not always 1st (Gen. 48:8-20; Jer. 31:9; Ex. 4:22; Ps. 89:27).
- He’s the creator & sustainer of all things (Rev. 4:11; Heb. 1:3).
- The creator was not Himself created but was eternal
- A created being cannot also create himself (Jn. 1:1-3)!
- Christ is Preeminent in the Church (Col. 1:18a).
- He’s the church’s head (source, authority) (v. 18; 1Cor. 12).
- Christ is Preeminent in the Resurrection (Col. 1:18).
- He’s the firstborn from the dead (Rev. 1:5; 1Cor. 15:20) – the first to rise with a resurrected body (1Cor. 15:23).
- Christ is sovereign over death and resurrection!
- Christ is Preeminent in All Things (Col. 1:18c-19; 2:9, 3).
- He’s the fulness of the godhead (Jn. 1:14-16; Eph. 3:19; 2Pe. 1:3-4).
- We can be filled with this same fullness (Jn. 1:14, 16; Eph. 3:19)!
II. THE RECONCILIATION IN CHRIST (1:20-23a).
- All things will be reconciled to God (Rom. 8:19-23).
- Your part (v. 23a): continue in the faith, be grounded, be steadfast and don’t stray from the hope of the gospel.
III. THE MINISTRY OF PAUL IN CHRIST (1:23b-25, 28-29).
- He rejoiced in suffering for Christ (1Pet. 4:16; 2Tim. 2:3).
- Goal: To present everyone perfect in Christ (v. 28; 4:12; 2:2).
IV. THE MYSTERY OF CHRIST NOW REVEALED (1:26-2).
- It’s for Gentiles – Christ in you, the hope of glory (v. 27b)!
Conclusion: Let’s put Christ back in Christianity! Let’s give Christ preeminence in all things!