“PUTTING CHRIST BACK IN CHRISTIANITY – Part 5”
“The Preeminence of Christ Over Carnality” (Col. 3:1-11)
I. WHAT TO SEEK – the things above (3:1-4).
- You were raised with Christ (3:1a; see also 2:12).
- You died, and your life is hidden with Christ (3:2-3; 2:20).
- Live out of your Christ identity, not your world identity.
- Seek those things which are above – where Christ is.
- When Christ appears, you will also appear with Him in glory (3:4; Jude 1:14; 1Thess. 4:14) and be transformed into His same image (2Cor. 3:18; 1Jn. 3:2)
II. WHAT TO PUT OFF – the old man & His deeds (vv. 5-9).
- This is our responsibility!
- Put off fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire and covetousness (idolatry) (3:5).
- There are consequences for not doing this (3:6-7)!
- Also put off anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language and lying (3:8-9). HOW?
- Decide to because God said so.
- Take responsibility for your actions.
- Believe that Jesus broke sin’s power in your life & act accordingly, trusting God to empower you (2:15; 1:13).
- Live out of the new man’s identity (1:21-22; 2:10, 13; 3:3).
- Feed the new man and starve the old man!
III. WHAT TO PUT ON (vv. 10-11).
- Sometimes you have to put something off BEFORE you can put something else on!
- You’ll be more effective by focusing more on what to put on than what to put off!
- We’re to put on the new man [nature] (v. 10a; 2Pet. 1:3-4).
- Renewed in knowledge (v. 10a; Hos. 4:6; Col. 1:9-11; 2:3).
- Renewed according the image of God (v. 10b).
- We are all one in Christ – earthly distinctives aren’t recognized/respected by God (v. 11a)!
- Christ is all and in all (v. 11b). He’s what matters!
CONCLUSION: If you profess to be a Christian, live like it! Let’s give Christ preeminence over Carnality!