“PUTTING CHRIST BACK IN CHRISTIANITY – Part 6”
The Preeminence of Christ In Our Character (Col. 3:12-17)
I. WHAT TO PUT ON (3:12).
- We are the elect (chosen) of God (Jn. 15:16, 19; Eph. 1:4; 2Thess. 2:13; 1Pet. 2:9; Rev. 17:14; 1Cor. 1:26-29).
- We are called to be holy – living a life separated unto God (Eph. 1:4; 1Pet. 1:15-16; Heb. 12:14).
- We are beloved – well-loved by God (Jer. 31:3; etc.).
- We are called to put on (v. 12b):
- tender mercies – gentleness flowing from compassion.
- kindness – being nice to people (Gal. 5:22).
- humility (Rom. 12:3; James 4:6, 10).
- meekness – a quiet (gentle, humble) strength.
- longsuffering – being patient with difficult people.
- HOW DO WE PUT ON THESE QUALITIES?
- Decide to because God says so.
- Take responsibility for your behavior.
- Ask God for these qualities and trust the Holy Spirit to produce them in you.
- Nurture by seeking God and His Word.
- Consider inviting someone to hold you accountable.
II. HOW TO TREAT ONE ANOTHER (3:13-14).
- Bear with one another – patient with mistakes (v. 13).
- Forgive one another (as Christ forgave you; Matt. 6:14-15).
- Love one another (v. 14).
III. HOW TO LIVE (vv. 15-17).
- Let the peace of God rule in your hearts (v. 15a; Gal. 5:22; Jn. 14:27; 16:33; Eph. 2:14; Rom. 5:1; Phil. 4:6-7).
- Be relationally & functionally connected to the body (v. 15b).
- Be at peace with others (Rom. 12:18; Heb. 12:14; 1Thess. 5:13).
- Be Thankful (see also 1:3, 12; 2:7; 3:17; 4:2; 1Thess. 5:18).
- Let the word of Christ dwell in you (v. 16a; 2Tim. 2:15).
- Teach (disciple) & admonish (exhort) one another (v. 16b).
- One way is through the songs we sing (v. 16b; 1Cor. 14:15).
- Do everything in in the name of the Lord Jesus (v. 17).
Conclusion: Let’s give Christ preeminence in our character!