“PUTTING CHRIST BACK IN CHRISTIANITY – Part 7”
‘The Preeminence of Christ In Our Home’ (Col. 3:18-4:1)
INTRO: When God’s order is in the home, life works better. What does this order look like (Col. 3:18-4:1; Eph. 5:21-6:9)? This passage, written to growing Christians is often misused.
I. WIVES (Col. 3:18; Eph. 5:22-24, 33b).
- Husbands, this Scripture isn’t addressed to you!
- Wives are to yield to the leadership of their husband as a means of submitting to the Lord (help him lead).
- A husband will lead better when he’s given respect.
II. HUSBANDS (Col. 3:19; Eph. 5:25-33a).
- Wives, this Scripture isn’t addressed to you!
- Wives submit easier when they feel adequately loved.
- Husbands aren’t to treat their wives harshly.
- Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church.
- He gave Himself for her (Eph. 5:25b).
- His love caused her to become radiant (vv. 26-27).
- Husbands love your wives as their own bodies (v. 28a).
- He’s to nourish & cherish his wife (v. 29).
- He’s to cause her to feel connected to him (v. 31, 33a).
III. CHILDREN (Col. 3:20; Eph. 6:1-3).
- Children are to obey and honor their parents.
- This pleases the Lord, and life will go better!
IV. FATHERS (Col. 3:21; Eph. 6:4).
- Fathers aren’t to be too hard/harsh (Prov. 15:13; 18:14).
- Fathers are to properly raise and nourish their children in the ways of the Lord (Eph. 6:4b).
V. EMPLOYEES (Col. 3:22-25; Eph. 6:5-8).
- Employees should submit to employers (v. 22a).
- Their motive should be to serve God (Eph. 6:5-6).
- The Lord will reward those who do this (v. 24).
- Those who don’t will experience consequences (v. 25a).
- God is impartial and bringing His justice (v. 25b).
VI. EMPLOYERS (Col. 4:1; Eph. 6:9).
- Employers treat your employees fairly, as unto the Lord.
CONCLUSION: Let’s give Christ preeminence in our home!