“PUTTING CHRIST BACK IN CHRISTIANITY” [Part 8]
Conclusion (Colossians 4:2-18)
I. PRAY (4:2-4).
- Devote yourselves to prayer (v. 2; see also 1:3, 9; 4:12).
- Prayer is needed to give Christ preeminence.
- Include lots of thanksgiving (1:3, 12; 2:7; 3:15, 17; 4:2).
- More thanksgiving – more answered prayer!
- Pray for us (vv. 3-4).
- For open doors to share Christ with others (v. 3a).
- This is why Paul was in prison as he writes (v. 3b).
- To be empowered to speak the message clearly (v. 4).
- Pray for me! Pray for Jubilee!
II. WALK IN WISDOM (4:5-6).
- We’re called to live wisely in how we relate to non-Christians (v. 5a; 2Cor. 8:21; 1Thess. 4:12; Phil. 2:4).
- Make the most of every opportunity (v. 5b).
- Are you using your time wisely – including prayer, God’s work and engaging non-Christians?
- Make sure your words are full of grace (non-judgmental) and seasoned with salt (of kingdom substance) (v. 6).
- In this way we can give appropriate responses (v. 6c).
III. CLOSING GREETINGS (4:7-15).
- Paul brings greetings from members of his ministry team and brings greetings to several people and groups.
- You may not be able to be an apostle Paul, but you can be an Epaphras – one of them, zeal for them, brought them the gospel, fervently prayed for them (1:6-7; 4:12-13).
IV. CLOSING SALUTATION (4:16-18).
- Signed, “Paul”. Don’t forget about me, especially in your prayers. Grace be with you (1:2). Amen. So be it (v. 18).
- Paul didn’t do ministry alone!
- We’re created for community!
CONCLUSION: Let’s put Christ back in Christianity and give Christ preeminence – 1st place – in everything! Pray. Walk in wisdom. Be an Epaphras! Fulfill your ministry.