INTRO: One of the marks of a disciple of Jesus is that he/she abides in Jesus’ Word (Jn. 8:31-32, 36; 17:17).
ABIDING IN HIS WORD [3 characteristics]:
- We regularly read His Word.
- We are committed to believing His Word.
- We seek to live our life in alignment with His Word.
I. GOD’S WORD AS SPIRITUAL NOURISHMENT.
God’s Word is to your spiritual life what food is to your physical life.
- God’s Word is Milk (1Pet. 2:2).
- God’s Word is Bread (Matt. 4:4).
- God’s Word is Meat (1Cor. 3:1-2; Heb. 5:12-14).
II. HOW ABIDING IN GOD’S WORD WILL NOURISH YOUR LIFE.
- Victory over sin (Ps. 119:11).
- Victory over Satan (Matt. 4:1-11; Eph. 6:10-17; Heb. 4:12).
- A Storm-Proof Life (Matt. 7:24-25).
- Prosperity & Success (Josh. 1:8; see also Ps. 1:1-3).
- Answered Prayer (Jn. 15:7; 1Jn. 5:14-15).
- Wholeness (2Tim. 3:15).
- Answers for what to Believe & how to Live (2Tim. 3:16-17).
III. HOW TO FEED ON GOD’S WORD.
- Make a specific commitment in writing (when, what, etc.).
- Pray – invite the Holy Spirit to teach you (Jn. 14:26; 16:13).
- Read & Meditate.
- Journal one inspiring or challenging thought.
- Meditate on what you read throughout that day.
IV. THE T.O.P.S. BIBLE READING STRATEGY.
“No other book ‘TOPS’ the Bible!”
T – TRUST IT
O – OBEY IT
P – PRAY IT
S – SHARE IT
CONCLUSION: Are you spiritually malnourished or spiritually vibrant and healthy? What is God saying to you today? How will you respond? The results will be worth it (Psalm 1:1-3)!