“THE EVER-INCREASING GOVERNMENT OF GOD” (Isa. 9:6-7)
INTRO: Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ, which was Christ’s first coming. There will be a second coming of Christ to the earth (Jn. 14:1-3; 1Thess. 4:16-18)! Do things in this world have to get worse before Christ returns?
I. THE GOVERNMENT IS UPON JESUS’ SHOULDER (Isa. 9:6b)!
- What kind of job will Jesus do shouldering the government?
- He does all things well (Mk. 7:37; Acts 10:38)!
II. HIS GOVERNMENT IS EVER-INCREASING (Isa. 9:7)!
- God’s government is His governance or rule.
- It will continue to increase until fully established (v. 7b)!
- God’s kingdom has been ordered and established with judgment and justice from the birth of Christ onward, and will continue forever (Isa. 9:7a)!
- The zeal of God will perform this (Isa. 9:7b)!
III. THE GATES OF HELL WON’T PREVAIL AGAINST THE CHURCH (Matt. 16:18)!
- Jesus will build His church!
- Don’t give up on His church – He’s not done with it yet!
- The gates of hell won’t be able to hold back the church that Jesus is building from succeeding!
IV. THE CHURCH WILL BE GLORIOUS AT THE RETURN OF CHRIST (Eph. 5:27)!
Jesus will have for Himself a glorious (splendid, gorgeous, honorable, noble), spotless (undefiled, without blemish, defect or disgrace), wrinkle-free (a radiant bride in her prime), holy (sacred, pure, blameless, consecrated), blemish-free (faultless) church/bride (Eph. 5:27)!
V. RESTORATION, NOT DETERIORATION, IS A SIGN OF CHRIST’S SECOND COMING (Acts 3:20-21)!
- God will send Jesus back to the earth (v. 20)! When?
- Not until the times of restoration of all things (v. 21)!
- His ever-increasing government (Isa. 9:6-7)!
- A prevailing church (Matt. 16:18)!
- A glorious church/bride (Eph. 5:27)!