“THE HEALTHY CHURCH – PART 2”
REVIEW/INTRO: God wants His church (the body & bride of Christ) to be healthy! Instead of focusing on how unhealthy the church is, let’s focus on how to become healthier personally and as a church family. Church problems are an opportunity to grow! For a church to be healthy, it requires the members to have a series of priorities in order.
- Is it necessary to be connected to a local community of believers – a local church?
- Isn’t it enough to be a part of the universal church?
- Isn’t it enough to believe in Christ?
- Will you do what you want or what God wants?
I. CONNECTED OVER DISCONNECTED (1Cor. 12:12-26).
- The church is like a body (vv. 12, 14) – one body made up of many connected members. No connection, no body!
- Disconnected member have little purpose or function.
- To be connected to the body is to be connected to other members (relationally & functionally).
- The purpose of connection is to serve the other members (interdependent over independent).
- Guard against a sense of inferiority (vv. 15-18).
- Guard against a sense of superiority (vv. 21-22).
- As each member functions with mutual respect, the result is a healthy church (vv. 25-26; Eph. 4:14-16).
II. SERVING OVER BEING SERVED (Matt. 20:20-28).
- Jesus prioritized serving over being served.
- Authority and greatness comes from serving (25-27).
- This is how Jesus rolled (v. 28; John 13:1-17)!
- Jesus modeled this priority of serving (John 13:1-17).
- He washed His disciples’ feet (vv. 4-11).
- He told us to do the same (vv. 14-15, 17).
- How do we serve one another? By discovering and fulfilling our God-given function in the body!
- Serve as unto the Lord, not men (Eph. 6:6-8; Col. 3:22-25).
CONCLUSION: Are you well-connected to the body? Are you serving over being served? Will you do your part?