“THE HEALTHY CHURCH – PART 3”
REVIEW/INTRO: God wants His church to be healthy! This requires the members to have a series of priorities in order:
- Connected Over Disconnected (1Cor. 12:12-26).
- Serving Over Being Served (Matt. 20:20-28; Jn. 13:1-17).
- We serve one another by discovering & fulfilling our God-given function in the body!
- Country Club Membership vs. Church Membership.
- Functional vs. Dysfunctional.
- Giving over Receiving.
- Serving over Being Served.
- Sacrifice over Entitlement; Responsibilities over Rights.
I. DEFERRING OVER DEMANDING (Matt. 16:24-27).
- Three Costs to Following Jesus (v. 24b):
- Let him deny himself – give up the right to have it your way.
- Let him take up his cross – accept responsibilities that have a high personal cost for Jesus’ sake.
- Let him follow Jesus – follow the example of Jesus with the attitude of Jesus.
II. SAVING YOUR LIFE BY LOSING IT (Matt. 16:25-27).
- Insisting on getting your way results in losing out on experiencing a high quality of life (v. 25a)!
- Being willing to defer to others (lose your life) for Jesus’ sake results in experiencing a high quality of life (v. 25b)!
- What good is it to get your way, but be miserable (26)?
- Jesus will reward you for sacrifices made for Him (v. 27).
III. DEFERRING OVER DEMANDING IN CHURCH LIFE.
- What do you do when your idea isn’t the one followed?
- What do you do when you disagree with a decision?
- Is it possible for everyone to have their way?
- The difference between transgressions and preferences.
- Deferring preferences is a sign of growth and maturity.
- This is what love looks like (1Cor. 13:4-8)!
CONCLUSION: Are you going to do what you want to do or what God wants you to do?