“THE HEALTHY CHURCH – PART 4”
[ENCOURAGING OVER COMPLAINING]
REVIEW/INTRO: God wants His church/body/bride to be healthy, which requires the members to have a series of priorities in order:
- Connected Over Disconnected (1Cor. 12:12-26)
- Serving Over Being Served (Matt. 20:28)
- Deferring Over Demanding (Rom. 12:10; Matt. 16:24-27)
- ENCOURAGING OVER COMPLAINING (today’s message)
I. THE CALL TO LOVE.
- Loving God & others – great commandment (Mt. 22:35-40).
- Loving others is evidence that we know God and have experienced His love (1Jn. 4:7-8, 12).
- Loving one another should be a very high priority (1Pet. 4:8; Col. 3:12-14; 1Cor. 13:13).
- One way love is expressed is through our words.
II. THE POWER OF YOUR WORDS.
- Your words have the power of life & death (Prov. 18:21).
- Salvation comes through your words (Rom. 10:9-10)!
- Your words can control your life (Ja. 3:2-12)!
III. CHARACTERISTICS OF SPEAKING LOVE.
- Love should be both in word and deed (1Jn. 3:17-18).
- Loving God focuses on thanksgiving over complaining.
- Loving others focuses on encouraging over complaining.
IV. LOVING OTHERS WITH OUR WORDS.
- Requires focusing more on others & less on self (Phil. 2:4).
- Only speak words that build others up (Eph. 4:29).
- Do everything without complaining/arguing (Phil. 2:14-15).
- Jesus’ prayer for unity (Jn. 17:22-23).
- The call to work at unity (Eph. 4:1-3; Rom. 12:18; 14:19).
V. LOVING GOD WITH OUR WORDS.
- Israel’s complaining (Ex. 15:24-25; 16:2-12; 17:1-3; Num. 14:1-4).
- God’s response (Num. 11:1; 14:26-38; 17:5, 10).
- Let’s learn from their example (1Cor. 10:10-11; 1Thess. 5:18).
CONCLUSION: Let’s love God by being thankful and love others by being encouraging!