[The Miracle of Mercy — Part 2]
INTRO: Grace is God giving us what we don’t deserve, and mercy is God not giving us what we do deserve. We are forgiven to the degree we forgive (Matt. 6:12; 5:7)!
I. MERCY MEANS GOD FORGIVES ME!
- Let’s not take this truth for granted in our familiarity.
- Where would you be today without God’s forgivness?
- God also removes sin’s wages (Rom. 3:23; 6:23; 1Jn. 1:9).
- THREE TRUTHS ABOUT FORGIVENESS:
- God wants to forgive you (Neh. 9:17; Micah 7:18)!
- God freely forgives you (Rom. 3:23-24)!
- God completely forgives you (Col. 2:13-14 NLT Micah 7:19 NCV; Ps. 103:12; Isa. 43:25)!
- HINDRANCES TO RECEIVING GOD’S FORGIVENESS:
- “I don’t believe it.”
- “I don’t deserve it.”
- “I don’t understand it.”
II. MERCY MEANS THAT I FORGIVE OTHERS.
- WHAT FORGIVENESS IS:
- Forgiveness isn’t optional or conditional (Col. 3:13; Eph. 4:32).
- Forgiveness isn’t minimizing or excusing the offense.
- Forgiveness is a choice, not an emotion.
- HOW FORGIVENESS WORKS:
- Forgiveness is a process more so than an event.
- Forgiveness doesn’t mean you forget (2Tim. 4:14-15).
- Forgiveness doesn’t mean relationship or trust is automatically restored.
- WHY WE STRUGGLE WITH FORGIVING OTHERS.
- We haven’t been forgiven.
- We don’t feel forgiven.
- We don’t understand forgiveness.
- It doesn’t seem fair.
CONCLUSION (Ja. 2:13): Mercy means God forgives me! Do you need forgiveness today? Mercy means I forgive others! Is there anyone you need to forgive today?