“MERCY ME” [The Miracle of Mercy – Part 4]
INTRO: When do we need God’s mercy and how does it work? God has a fresh adequate supply of mercy for you every day (Lam. 3:22-23)! God’s mercy will never run out (Ps. 100:5; 103:17)! But why is that important?
I. We Need God’s Mercy When We’ve Messed Up (Jn. 8:2-11).
- A woman messed up by committing adultery (vv. 2-3).
- Her sin is exposed by religious leaders, not the world.
- Sin isn’t fair!
- We’ve all messed up (Rom. 3:23; 1Jn. 1:8; Ecc. 7:20; Ja. 3:2a)!
- The religious leaders wanted to see her punished (vv. 3-6).
- Jesus’ response to the woman’s critics (vv. 6b-9).
- Personal introspection over judging others (vv. 7-8).
- The critics are convicted and walk away (v. 9).
- Jesus’ response to the woman caught in adultery (v. 10-11).
- He freed her from condemnation and sin (v. 11).
- Didn’t condemn or condone, but showed mercy, which gave her a new future (Ps. 86:5; Ja. 2:13).
II. We Need God’s Mercy When Disillusioned (Jn. 5:2-9).
- There’s a pool of sick & hurting people everywhere (v. 2-3).
- They were waiting and hoping for a miracle (Jn. 5:4).
- Jesus wants to make you well (Jn. 5:5-6).
- The disillusionment of hope deferred and feeling like you’re often at the end of the line (v. 7).
- Do you think it’s up to someone else to do something before your need can be met?
- God’s mercy makes the impossible possible (vv. 8-9; Lk. 18:27; 2Pet. 1:3)!
III. We Need God’s Mercy When Afraid to Die (Lk. 23:39-43).
- Are you afraid to die?
- This man asked Jesus for mercy and got it (vv. 42-43)!
- The only thing that can keep you out of heaven is your pride – rejecting the mercy of God!
- God’s mercy will save you for eternity (Lk. 23:43; Jn. 11:25; Acts 2:21)!
Conclusion: God has all the mercy you need (Heb. 4:14-16)!