“SHOWING MERCY TO YOUR FAMILY”
[The Miracle of Mercy – Part 5]
INTRO: Why is it sometimes harder to show mercy to our own family than others (Ps. 101:2 TLB)? Mercy is a choice not an emotion! Mercy is love in action! What is true about love will also typically be true about mercy (1Cor. 13:4-8a).
4 WAYS TO SHOW MERCY TO YOUR FAMILY:
I. BY OVERLOOKING IRRITATIONS & OFFENSES (v. 5).
- You’ll notice, but don’t make a big deal out of it.
- Sometimes the best response is to ignore it.
- Love is not provoked (easily angered) (v. 5).
- Are you part of the solution or adding to the problem?
- Not venting or stuffing, but releasing.
- Love covers rather than exposes (Prov. 17:9; 19:11).
- What’s best for the other person (1Thess. 5:15)?
II. BY BEING KIND WHEN THEY DON’T DESERVE IT BUT NEED IT. Love suffers long and is kind; … (1Cor. 13:4)
- Are there any VDPs in your family (Very Draining People)?
- What’s their story?
- Identify with their story.
- Give people what they need, not what they deserve (Rom. 12:21; Prov. 19:22a)!
- God allows difficult people in our life to further refine us.
III. BY LETTING GO OF PAST HURTS (v. 5).
- Do you ever “gunnysack” or get “historical”?
- Do you repeat it or delete it?
- Don’t keep rehearsing it in your mind.
- Don’t keep rehearsing it with the person.
- Don’t rehearse it with someone else (gossip). Gossip – rehearsing it with someone who is neither a part of the problem nor a part of the solution.
III. BY BELIEVING GOD IS WORKING IN THE LIVES OF OTHERS (v. 7; Phil. 1:6).
CONCLUSION: How merciful have you been with your family? Do or say something kind TODAY!
Whatever challenges you face in your family life, throw yourself on the mercy of God (Heb. 4:16)!