“YOUR MINISTRY OF MERCY”
[The Miracle of Mercy – Part 6]
INTRO: We’ve been focusing on God’s mercy towards us. Now we’re going to shift the focus to our showing mercy to others (Matt. 5:7). This requires compassion, which is entering into someone else’s pain for the purpose of helping to ease their pain (not just pity). The Bible story of Jesus healing a leper illustrates what this looks like (Mark 1:40-45).
I. LIFE’S LEPERS (v. 40).
- In Jesus’ day, lepers were outcasts (Lev. 13:45-46).
- Can you imagine the humiliation, isolation & loneliness?
- There are many today who feel like outcasts.
II. IF YOU ARE WILLING (v. 40b).
- He knew Jesus was able, but unsure if He was willing.
- Many people today are the same.
- Many modern lepers fear the church will reject them.
III. TOUCHING LEPERS (v. 41).
- Jesus touched the leper! When was he last touched?
- Sufficient compassion trumps fear!
IV. HEALING LEPERS (v. 42).
- Either the leper would be cleansed or Jesus would become unclean!
- The Jesus in you is more powerful then any leprosy!
V. SHOW & TELL (vv. 43-44).
- Jesus told him to go show himself to the priest.
- The same blood sacrifice was used to cleanse the leper as to ordain a priest (Lev. 14:1-2, 13-14; 8:1-2; 23-24)!
- The blood of Jesus is sufficient for everyone!
VI. THE COST OF TOUCHING LEPERS (v. 45).
- The leper goes from outcast to evangelist.
- Jesus goes from celebrity to outcast (vv. 28, 33, 39, 45)!
- There’s a price to pay for touching lepers!
CONCLUSION: Jesus is still willing to touch and cleanse lepers today! He wants to do it through you! Are you willing and available?