“THE SECOND CHRISTMAS – Pt. 4”
REVIEW/INTRO: The most common end-time view: Rapture -> 7-year tribulation -> 2nd Coming.
The facts & Where this view came from:
Does this teaching hold up to reasonable biblical scrutiny?
How would you view the future if the tribulation had already happened (Matt. 24:9, 21, 34; Rev. 1:1a, 3, 9a; 22:10, 12a, 20)?
THE ANGEL GABRIEL APPEARS TO DANIEL (vv. 20-23).
- Gabriel told Daniel that he had been sent to give him skill to understand the vision which would follow.
THE 70-WEEK (490 years) VISION REGARDING THE JEWS & JERUSALEM (vv. 24-27).
- There would be a 490 year period in which the Messiah would come to make a sacrifice for sin which would bring forgiveness and righteousness (v. 24).
- This started with Artaxerxes’ command to rebuild Jerusalem (Neh. 2; Ezra 7; 457 B.C.), taking the first 49 years, and would lead to the manifestation of the Messiah 434 years later (v. 25). Fulfilled by Jesus!
- The Messiah’s life would end shortly after the 483 years and some time later Jerusalem and its temple would be destroyed (which happened in 70 A.D.) (v. 26).
- The Messiah will confirm the New Covenant during a 7-year period, bringing an end to animal sacrifices by His own death after 3 ½ years. In the remaining 3 ½ years the gospel continued to be offered to the Jews, after which it went to the Gentiles (Acts 10; 13:46) (v. 27).
CONCLUSION: Jesus perfectly fulfilled the work of the Messiah as prophesied in Daniel 9:20-27! Rather than focusing on a future antichrist or 7-year period of tribulation, focus on the present reign of the resurrected, glorified King Jesus in your life & in fulfilling The Great Commission! Jesus is coming! Be ready! Be victorious! Be ready for a pre-trib rapture, but don’t count on it!