“WHAT IS THE GREATEST SECRET TO ANSWERED PRAYER?” [PERSEVERING IN PRAYER]
INTRO: We are in 40 Days of Prayer for:
- For a specific personal miracle.
- For a church-wide refreshing (Acts 3:19).
What is the greatest secret to answered prayer? Certainly Persevering Prayer has to be at or near the top!
WHY DO WE GIVE UP PRAYING?
- We forget.
- We decide its just not worth it.
- We lose hope or faith that God will answer.
- We assume it must not be God’s will to answer.
I. THE PARABLE OF THE PERSISTENT WIDOW (Luke 18:1-8).
- Jesus tells this story to encourage perseverance in prayer.
- A persistent widow gets a reluctant unjust judge to give her legal justice (vv. 2-5). She persevered more than him!
- God will bring justice to His children who cry out to Him regardless of how long it takes (vv. 7-8).
- Perseverance is a primary evidence of faith (v. 8b)!
II. THE PARABLE OF THE PERSISTENT NEIGHBOR (Lk. 11:5-13).
- A man in need of food gets it from a friend on the basis of his perseverance (not on the basis of their friendship).
- We are to ask in prayer with a similar persistence until we receive (Luke 11:9-10; Eph. 6;18).
III. WHY DOES GOD SOMETIMES REQUIRE PERSEVERANCE?
- To keep us from getting spoiled.
- To weed out our more superficial prayer requests.
- To develop spiritual endurance.
- To produce character/spiritual maturity (Rom. 5:3-4; 2Pet. 1:5-9).
- To not violate another person’s free will.
CONCLUSION: What is the greatest secret to answered prayer? Persevering prayer is at or near the top! Jesus is calling YOU to persevere in prayer! Persevere in praying for your personal miracle. Persevere in praying for a church-wide time of refreshing.