“WHAT OVERWHELMS YOU?”
INTRO: What overwhelms you? Overwhelm – to overcome completely in mind or feeling. What do you do when you feel overwhelmed?
PAUL’S EXPERIENCE WITH BEING OVERWHELMED
1. Paul’s persecution (see also 2Cor. 11:24-28).
2. Do you ever feel like this? Do you feel like this now?
3. Paul put things in their proper perspective.
A. He recognized that things could be worse.
B. He refused to be defeated by his circumstances.
4. While Paul’s circumstances were overwhelming, he didn’t get overwhelmed in his mind or emotions.
1. Paul didn’t let his circumstances control his emotions.
2. Paul focused more on what was going right then wrong.
3. Paul looked at things more from an eternal perspective.
4. What overwhelming circumstances are you facing?
A. How are you dealing with these stresses?
B. Who do you see when you look in the mirror?
C. Are you medicating with something unwholesome?
D. Follow Paul’s example!
HOW DOES GOD SEE YOU AND YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES?
1. God draws near to the brokenhearted (Ps. 34:18) to bind up their wounds (Ps. 147:3).
2. God gives rest to the weary who come to Him (Mt. 11:28).
3. Jesus wants to remove your oppression (Acts 10:38-39).
4. Jesus knows what you’re going through because He’s been there (Isa. 53:3; Matt. 26:37-38; Heb. 2:18; 4:15).
CONCLUSION: What overwhelms you? How are you dealing with life’s stresses? There is no problem in our life so large that it is beyond God’s control. There is no detail in our life so small that it is beyond God’s concern. Jesus is here to draw near to you, to bind up your wounds, to heal your broken heart, to give you rest, refreshing and healing.
Will you come to Him?